updates | March 28, 2026

Conor McGregor Gets Response From Dustin Poirier For Fourth UFC Fight

Highlights

  • Conor McGregor is determined to have a fourth fight with Dustin Poirier, describing it as a "must" and expressing his unfinished business with his longtime rival.
  • Poirier is open to the matchup and wants to "shut him up once and for all," despite already having a 2-1 record against McGregor.
  • While McGregor vs. Poirier is a possibility, it is more likely that McGregor will face Michael Chandler in his comeback fight, as Chandler has been promised a showdown with the Irish superstar.

Conor McGregor is eyeing a long-awaited return to the UFC and has made it clear that he plans on settling the score with Dustin Poirier who handed him two losses back to back. Poirier has responded to his rival’s call-out as he described his plans to return to action after he lost to Justin Gaethje at UFC 291 in the summer.

In 2021, McGregor competed against former UFC Lightweight Championship contender Dustin Poirier in a rematch of their 2014 bout at UFC 257, which he won by technical knockout. The match at UFC 257 ended with McGregor experiencing a technical knockout in the second round, marking the first knockout loss of his career. Subsequently, McGregor requested a third fight with Dustin Poirier later that same year at UFC 264, McGregor faced another setback. He lost the fight via technical knockout in the first round, as the ringside doctor halted the bout due to McGregor's broken tibia, preventing him from continuing. McGregor has been sidelined since then, dedicating his time to rehabilitation efforts for his significant leg break.

RELATED: 10 Best Seasons of The Ultimate Fighter

Dustin Poirier Responds To Conor McGregor's Callout For Fourth Fight

Poirier Wants To 'Shut Him Up Once And For All'

As with McGregor, Poirier wants to return to action on the historic UFC 300 card and is open to fighting his longtime rival for the fourth time. When asked about the potential matchup, he said, “We’ll see, I probably would try to shut him up once and for all,” Poirier told Megan Olivi for ESPN at UFC Fight Night 232. “But even if I slap his ass around again, he’s still going to be chatting. So we’ll see. Is him and Chandler still official for that? I don’t know what’s going on. But that’s a huge fight. 2-1 against him. I don’t really see another reason for it, but it’d be a huge fight.”

Poirier said he is ready for a short-notice fight but would only consider big fights or a title opportunity. McGregor was a coach on The Ultimate Fighter 31 for the second time, against Michael Chandler. They are scheduled to fight in his comeback bout, an event yet to be announced.

RELATED: 10 Times Pro Wrestlers & MMA Fighters Had A Public Feud

Conor McGregor Describes Fourth Dustin Poirier Fight As ‘A Must’

McGregor Continues His Personal Feud With Poirier

In a deleted tweet seen by MMA Mania, the Irish superstar expressed his determination to get the fourth fight with his longtime rival. “Let’s be real, it’s a must. Unfinished,” wrote McGregor in a since-deleted tweet in response to a question about the fight.

While McGregor Vs. Poirier is likely to happen down the line, it’s very unlikely that he will return to fight his rival. Chandler, who has been promised a showdown with McGregor, will likely get a crack at the superstar unless an injury prevents the pair from stepping into the UFC octagon.