Ric Flair Reveals Reason For WWE Release, What Vince McMahon Said To Him
Earlier this month, WWE announced that they had released Hall of Famer Ric Flair from his contract.
As it turned out, Flair requested his release, initially citing the desire to focus on other business opportunities. The Nature Boy also denied rumors that he wanted to be let go due to frustration about the way the company was booking Charlotte Flair.
During an appearance on Renée Paquette's Oral Sessions podcast (h/t Fightful.com), Flair went into further detail about his decision to seek his release from WWE:
"I had a bunch of pending opportunities. I had things that I was doing currently at the time I signed my contract. They allowed those. Wendy got to keep her shop. These are big things. I got to keep cameo and a couple other things. A couple of deals were coming along and I got to the point where, I was asking them, I probably exhausted them asking, not to grandfather me in, but to let me do them. Of course, the answer was, 'You can do them, maybe.' I wanted to finally, which I did for three years, make a living not being under a wrestling payroll. That's all it was. There is no animosity, it's just business. I wanted to try something and they had a different vision."
According to the 16-time World Champion, there was no animosity whatsoever between he, Charlotte and WWE chairman Vince McMahon. Flair explained that it all ended on a good note.
"I talked to Vince after it was over and I said, 'whatever paths our lives take us, we're always going to be brothers.' He said, 'You're damn right,'" Flair explained. "Ashley (Charlotte) would never leave there, she's the happiest she's ever been. Obviously, they're not mad at me."
Because Flair's contract didn't include a 90-day non-compete clause, he is free to sign elsewhere. It has been reported that he his on his way to joining AEW, who recently made a marquee splash with the signing of CM Punk. The Nature Boy touched base on those rumors.
"I can also tell you, people who started rumors, no need to get into that. 'Oh, he's going to AEW. He and Tony Khan are friends.' Yeah, we are friends, but I haven't heard a word from Tony (Khan)," Flair said. "If he asks you, tell him I'm around (laughs)."
RELATED: Ric Flair Says "I Will Never Retire" Amid Rumors Of An In-Ring Return
Flair has already made two appearances since his WWE departure. He accompanied Andrade El Idolo for his match against Kenny Omega at Triplemanía XXIX two weeks ago. The Nature Boy even got physical during the match, which was ultimately won by Omega. Flair also appeared at NWA 73 on Sunday. During the promo, he thanked McMahon and several other prominent members of WWE.
After brief stints in Ring of Honor and TNA, Flair returned to the WWE in 2012. He worked under a legends contract and frequently appeared on television, including in programs with Charlotte and later Randy Orton, his former ally in Evolution.
Ric Flair Would Be A Massive Addition For AEW
Even if he's not wrestling anymore, Flair would still serve as a giant addition to AEW. The company already employs two of the original Four Horsemen members in Tully Blanchard and Arn Anderson. With Sting and several other wrestling icons already in AEW, it's the ideal time to bring Flair aboard. We'll just have to see how everything plays out.
NEXT: [Reports] Possible Spoiler On WWE's Future WrestleMania Plans For The Rock