news | March 30, 2026

Tom Bergeron's Exit From DWTS Was More Fiery Than We Thought

Tom Bergeron told Cheryl Burke how he responded when he found out that Sean Spicer was going to appear on "Dancing With the Stars," much to his dismay: "I said, 'Guys, this is exactly what we said we wouldn't do. Don't go there. This is not the right time, play to our strengths, be the show that gives people a break from all this bulls–t." Bergeron explained that it wasn't just about Spicer; he would have felt just as angry and betrayed if they booked a Democrat on the show.

Bergeron felt so strongly about the Spicer situation that he posted a statement on X voicing his displeasure. He notably didn't refer to Spicer by name, but he made it clear he had previously thought he was on the same page with producers about not including anyone political on the show, and he disagreed with them seemingly changing their minds to include Spicer. It was that public statement that Bergeron said really sealed the deal for his firing. "[Those running the show] don't like being called a liar in public," Bergeron said. 

While he wasn't let go immediately, he felt like it was only a matter of time. Bergeron did stay on as the host through Spicer's time on the show, but he didn't like being there. "I was miserable the whole season," he told Burke.